History of Flackwell Heath Community Centre
Flackwell Heath came about by the merger of three hamlets spread along the Chiltern ridge – Northern Woods, The Common and Heath End – and has had a ‘community centre’ since 1921, when a Memorial Hall was built and a Trust established. However, the location of the original hall is unclear and information regarding this would be much appreciated.
In 1940, the Charity known as Flackwell Heath Village Hall and Recreation Ground was registered with a wooden hall on land known locally as ‘Lady Carrington’s Recreation Ground’
This building was subsequently demolished when Bucks County Council acquired the land for a new Junior School in (Anybody Know?). As part of the school building, a new Community Centre was included.
When expansion of the school site was necessary in the 60’s, agreement was reached between the Community Association and Bucks C.C. to sell the building and use the proceeds to build a larger Community Centre on the site of the old Infants School at the heart of the village.
Building work started in 1976 and the new Centre was opened in early 1977, although the scale of building was far less than originally envisaged due to dramatic increases in building costs.
Significant fund raising was essential to finance the build and Flackwell Heath Carnival was a major event in the village calendar for a number of years.
A smaller hall was added in (Anybody Know?) and was subsequently named ‘The Sarney Room’ in recognition of the significant contribution made to the community by Sim Sarney (and his wife Barbara) over a number of years. The Day Centre was built in (Anybody Know?) with the support of Age Concern who had developed a significant clientele of senior citizens from the village and surrounding area for day care.